Managing Special Needs Children After Divorce in Nevada

Understanding How to Care for Your Special Kids When Parents Live Apart

Going through a divorce is challenging for any family. But when you have a child with special needs, there are extra things to consider to ensure your child feels safe and happy.

In Nevada, there are special rules to help make sure your child gets what they need, even when parents decide not to live together anymore.

Molly Rosenblum Allen's photo by "Managing Special Needs Children After Divorce in Nevada" title.

What Does Special Needs Mean?

“Special needs” is a way to talk about kids who might need extra help. This can be because of how they learn, see, hear, move, or even feel things inside their bodies. Every child is different, and kids with special needs are just as special and unique. They might have conditions like autism, Down syndrome, or ADHD, which means they need more attention and care.

Making a Plan for Your Child

After a divorce, parents need to plan how they will take care of their children. This plan should consider the special care, treatments, or help in school that your child might need. In Nevada, the law wants both parents involved in this plan because it’s essential for your child’s well-being.

Sharing Responsibilities

In Nevada, the law says that both mom and dad should share the job of taking care of their child. This means they must talk to each other about doctor’s appointments, therapy sessions, and school meetings. It’s not always easy, but working together for your child’s sake is essential.

Money Matters

Taking care of a child with special needs can cost more money. The Nevada courts will look at this when deciding how much money one parent might need to give the other to help care for the child. They think about health insurance, special diets, or tools that help the child learn and grow.

The Reason You Haven't Hired A Child Custody Attorney Yet​

We’re ready to fight for the rights of your family if you hire us. We’re waiting to jump into action on the behalf of your family.

Where to Get Help

Sometimes, making these plans and decisions can be challenging. But in Las Vegas, some people can help. This includes lawyers who know how to help families, especially when they have a child with special needs. They can talk to you and help you understand how to make the best choices for your child.

Keeping Things Positive

The most important thing is to keep your child’s life as happy and normal as possible. Even though parents might not live together anymore, a child with special needs loves both parents just the same. It’s good to remind your child that mom and dad will always be there for them, no matter what.

Runner crossing finish line with arms raised.

Breaking It All Down for You

When parents in Nevada get a divorce and have a child with special needs, they have to think about a few extra things. It’s all about ensuring the child is cared for and loved, no matter what changes in the family. By working together, parents can ensure their children with special needs have everything they need to be happy and healthy.

The letters "FAQ" in large bold text to represent the start of a Frequently Asked Questions section.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can parents ensure the child’s routine is consistent between two households?

Creating a detailed parenting plan that outlines daily routines and communication strategies can help maintain consistency. Using tools like calendars or apps can ensure both households follow similar routines for the child’s benefit.

What if one parent doesn’t understand the child’s unique needs as well as the other?

It’s crucial for both parents to educate themselves about their child’s needs. Attending appointments together and seeking guidance from professionals or counselors specializing in special needs can facilitate better understanding and cooperation between parents.

How is child support calculated for a special needs child in Nevada?

Child support calculations for special needs children may consider additional expenses like medical care, therapy, and special education. Courts evaluate the child’s financial needs and each parent’s ability to contribute to determine appropriate support arrangements.

Can parenting plans be modified as the needs of the child change?

Yes, parenting plans in Nevada can be modified to accommodate changes in the child’s needs as they grow. The court can reassess the situation to make necessary adjustments to parenting plans and support arrangements.

Are there support groups for parents of special needs children going through a divorce?

Yes, support groups exist for parents facing the challenges of divorce with special needs children. These groups offer emotional support and share resources to help parents navigate this unique situation.

What role do schools play in helping manage the transition for special needs children after divorce?

Schools can provide consistency and support during the transition. Teachers and counselors can monitor the child’s adjustment and collaborate with both parents to meet educational and emotional needs.

How can divorced parents communicate effectively about their special needs child’s progress and care?

Regular meetings, shared journals, and online co-parenting tools can facilitate effective communication. It’s essential to focus on the child’s well-being and maintain clarity and positivity in communication.

Is financial assistance available for single parents of special needs children in Nevada?

Single parents in Nevada may qualify for financial assistance programs like Medicaid or Social Security Disability Insurance for children. These programs help with the costs associated with raising special needs children.

What should parents do if they disagree about their child’s medical or educational decisions?

Seeking assistance from a neutral third-party professional, such as a mediator specializing in special needs cases, can help parents reach decisions in the child’s best interest. In some cases, involving the court may be necessary.

How can extended family members support a special needs child during their parents’ divorce?

Extended family members can offer emotional support, assist with childcare, and maintain a positive presence in the child’s life. Staying neutral and prioritizing the child’s needs helps minimize stress and confusion during this challenging time.

"Glossary" in large, bold text, marking the beginning of a section defining key terms.


Special Needs: This term refers to individuals who require additional support due to physical, developmental, behavioral, or emotional differences. Examples include conditions like autism, cerebral palsy, or ADHD.

Divorce: The legal process of ending a marriage. Divorce involves the official and legal dissolution of a marriage by a court.

Parenting Plan: A document created during a divorce that outlines how children will be cared for by their parents. It includes schedules, decision-making responsibilities, and child support details.

Child Support: Money that a non-custodial parent pays the custodial parent to contribute to the costs of raising their child.

Mediator: A neutral third party who helps disputing parties agree. In divorce, a mediator can help parents negotiate a parenting plan.

Therapy Sessions: Scheduled times when a child meets with a therapist to receive treatment for behavioral, emotional, or developmental issues.

Consistency: The quality of always behaving or performing in a similar way or of always happening similarly. In parenting, character across households is essential for a child’s stability, especially for special needs children.

Communication Tools: Devices or programs used to facilitate communication between individuals. In co-parenting, this can include apps, emails, and shared calendars.

Educational Needs: The specific learning requirements of a child, which can include special education services, tutoring, or individualized education plans (IEPs).

Custodial Parent: The parent with whom the child resides most of the time following a divorce. This parent is responsible for the day-to-day care of the child.

Non-Custodial Parent: The parent who does not have primary physical custody of the child but often has visitation rights and shares decision-making responsibilities.

Financial Assistance: Economic aid provided to individuals in need. Single parents may be eligible for financial assistance from government or private sources.

Medicaid: A government insurance program for individuals and families with low income and resources. It can cover medical costs for eligible individuals, including special needs children.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI): A federal program that provides financial assistance to disabled people who cannot work, including children with qualifying conditions.

Extended Family: Relatives beyond the immediate family, such as grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, who can offer support and care.

Neutral Third-Party Professional: An individual who is not directly involved in a situation and is impartial, often used to help mediate disputes or provide expert opinions.

Stability: The quality of being consistent and unchanging. For children, particularly those with special needs, peace in their living environment and routine is crucial for their well-being.

Additional Resources for You

Monitor displaying "Relevant Links" in bold, indicating start of section with topic-related resources.

For those seeking guidance and resources during challenging family law matters, our lead attorney, Molly Rosenblum Allen, Esq., has meticulously developed a collection of valuable resources to aid you in your time of need. Whether you are navigating the complexities of child custody, asserting fathers’ rights, or managing supervised visitation, these resources provide critical information and support.

Please consider exploring the following resources created by Molly Rosenblum Allen, Esq.:

Each of these resources has been crafted with the intent to provide you with the knowledge and understanding necessary to navigate your legal journey confidently. We encourage you to take advantage of the expertise and support offered by Molly Rosenblum Allen, Esq., and the team at The Rosenblum Allen Law Firm.

"Resources" in large text, signifying a section of helpful materials.

Offsite Resources You May Find Helpful

Here are some offsite resources with valuable information related to divorce proceedings and legal advice that readers may find useful:

  • American Bar Association: A prominent resource for legal professionals that also offers helpful information for those seeking guidance on family law matters.

  • Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada: A resource for individuals in Southern Nevada seeking legal assistance, including family law and divorce.

  • Avvo: A legal marketplace where you can find advice from lawyers, read reviews, and get free legal FAQs.

  • FindLaw: This site provides a wealth of legal information, including articles and resources on divorce and family law.

  • National Parents Organization: Focuses on promoting shared parenting and family law reform, offering resources for parents going through a divorce.

  • Provides legal information and support to women facing various issues, including divorce and domestic violence.

Each of these resources offers unique support and insight that could be of great help to someone navigating the complexities of divorce.

Stick figure running with "What's Next?" in bold text above.

A Special Message From Our Lead Attorney

Why You Might Need a Lawyer

Molly Rosenblum, Esq

Headshot of attorney Molly Rosenblum Allen with long blond hair, wearing a black blazer.

Dear Reader,

Thank you for taking the time to explore our divorce resources. I hope you found the information insightful and empowering as you navigate through this complex chapter of your life. Understanding your rights and the intricacies of the legal process is paramount to achieving a resolution that aligns with your best interests.

Please reach out if you feel ready to take the next step or have questions about your unique situation. My team and I at The Rosenblum Allen Law Firm are committed to providing your support and guidance.

Call us at (702) 433-2889 to get the ball rolling on your situation. We’re here to listen and help you move forward with confidence.

Warm regards,

Molly Rosenblum, Esq.

Sign up for our Newsletter

Scroll to Top